Thursday 16 November 2017

The furore around Zoella’s teenage tweets proves how low we’ve set the bar for public shaming


Where did the dragons go? I remember when the Internet was a sword used to bring the most heinous people to justice. Those who quite rightly deserved their comeuppance. Y’know. Dragons. The Martin Shkreli’s of the world. People for whom there was no doubt that they were indeed bastards, and therefore fair game. I’m all for punching up. In fact, I think as a society we’re obligated to punch up. But the recent public shaming of harmless YouTube beauty icon Zoella sits uneasy with me. Missed the drama? You’re probably either over 23, or you don’t read Buzzfeed, but I’ll…

This story continues at The Next Web

from Social Media – The Next Web http://ift.tt/2ALRN9B
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment